Mind & Soul - Chapter 3
September 7, 2019People as Individuals & Self Awareness
Small and imperceptible lifestyle changes can make a huge difference, as they'll add up in the long term.
Change your poise to change your life.
- Choose a mentor - This is someone whom you respect the most, and in some forms, they have achieved what you would like to accomplish in your lifetime.
- Notice the poise of your mentor - Your mentor will naturally carry themselves with composure and dignity of manner.
- Become aware of your own poise - For example, sitting straight, speaking clearly, walking without being hunched, opening your body that you are not tense. Such small adjustments to your poise could affect your life with regards to your goals.
- Open up your body - Open the front of your body, so your chest and solar plexus are not tense, sit or stand up with a straight spine and fully open the front of your body, breathe down through your chest and solar plexus, deep into your belly.
- Make eye contact - Look directly into the eyes of whomever you're with, to truly connect with them.
- Do not force anyone to adopt how you perceive the world. Parts of our personality traits embedded inside our DNA, and it is there to serve a purpose. Do not expect people to change.
- Always be loving and free around people or things - Bring acceptance and unconditional love into your life.
- Don't allow other people's moods to affect your state of mind - Carry yourself with composure. The more in control you are of your spirit, the lesser power and influence your environment has on you.
- Every moment of your life is either a test or a celebration - People test you to find your love, as this is their way of validating you. They want to feel that you're authentic & testing you is their way to finding the answer. As a divine and authentic being, you should accept it, always show your love while you stay true to yourself and never expect their test is going to end.
- Stay calm when faced with a problem - "The softest things in the world overcome the hardest things in the world" - Lao Tzu.
- Do not maintain anger or hatred - When these emotions are perceivable to you, focus on your breathing until they pass.
- Remain uncompetitive - Don't compare yourself to others, but strive to do your personal best. When you think, think deeply, when you give, give as much as you can, when you speak, speak of truth, when you're managing something, keep order, when you're working at something, sharpen your skills, when you're preparing to act, ensure it's the right time.
- Practice humility and de-prioritise your ego - This doesn't mean you shouldn't practice self-appreciation or that you should stop retaining yourself respect.
- Keep the promises you make to yourself - Promise less and deliver more. Have self-discipline & follow through on the promises you make.
- Learn to laugh - Everybody does ridiculous things and says absurd nonsense every now and then. Laughter has been shown to improve mood and enhance happiness.
- Create a playful life and learn to rest – Solve problems that bring joy and happiness into your soul, and manifest peace, by accomplishing them.
- Forgive your mistakes and confront your flaws - Be firm, but kind and truthful, when you are evaluating yourself.
- Always do your best - It's okay if your 'best' changes depending on the situation, e.g., your best will be different when you're healthy as opposed to being sick, or happy as opposed to being angry. Regardless of the objective quality, keep doing your best.
- Use the feeling of boredom and restlessness to overcome the state of perfectionism - Next time you notice you're bored and restless, rather than trying to satisfy the boredom by getting involved in an activity, stay bored and restless, observe the feeling. The mind is always greedy for more & boredom means the brain is hungry for more stimulus, as it's hunger is not being satisfied. So you satisfy the craving with reading, talking, TV, internet, shopping, or eating needlessly. Give some rest and peace to your mind. Meditate.
- You don't have to practice meditation to be aware - Just do whatever, without attaching meaning to them. Walk around and notice your pace. Listen to good music, but don't think about the music or the lyrics, just listen and feel the vibrations. Pay attention to the flavour of your favourite food and drink.
Summary: Your body reflects your inner self & your body's poise can change the way you feel and think.